Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The first few weeks

Antibes updates
Life here the first two weeks was like a giant vacation. I had one day of classes because the rest were cancelled because the teachers were still enjoying their own summer break. I spent multiple days here atop the rooftop pool reading or down by the beach. Let’s just say I no longer have my “arctic pallor”. The old town here is so cute. A ten-fifteen minute walk there is this old walled in city where most of the shops are as well as restaurants, bakeries, gelato stands and crepe places. Lots of regional products to buy which includes lavender, Provencal cloth, perfume (I am in the perfume making region of France and probably the world), olive wood products and baskets etc along with the more trendy modern shops. To celebrate our first night here my roommate and I went out to dinner and got delicious grilled lamb, escargot and crème brule. I don’t need to tell you that’s not how we will usually be eating. However, it is not expensive to eat deliciously here. I have been getting a baguette almost every day for less than a euro, eating peaches for breakfast, an avocado sandwich for lunch and making dinner or getting a sandwich down at the internet café (by sandwich I mean a delicious croque monsieur…google it if you don’t know what it is). The French mostly believe in shopping everyday for their food so I go to the little casino (brand name tiny supermarket) and get my fruit etc. Everything is so fresh here. Also I have been eating a ton of gelato. We are so close to Italy that this area has a strong Italian influence. After going to Italy this weekend and trying their gelato I can tell you that ours is comparable here in Antibes. Anyways enough about food although I will say one last thing….NUTELLAAAAAA. Its everywhere. I can’t let myself buy it anymore because I go through it too fast. But seriously. Nutella on everything from baguettes to crepes to bananas.
My classes, the one day I had of them were very interesting. I have all my classes once a week for three hours. The first class I had was Corporate Finance. The teacher was this little English man who was very energetic and very funny. There were four AU students in the class and about 20 europeans. All the business classes are in English to prepare the European students for the very dominant English speaking business world. However, the European students were so rude! Falling asleep, having blatant conversations in front of the professor, facebooking and showing pictures to one another. By the end of the class it was just us four AU students even listening to the professor but this apparently is standard behavior in most of my classes. The next class, Production and Operations management was a bit better because there was about 10 AU students and 5 Europeans and the teacher wasn’t afraid to reprimand those being rude. However every one of the AU students, when sharing their stories about the day said the same thing…that in every class it was only the American students paying attention. Another culture shock for me. We shall see how the rest of my classes go when they finally start up. Pictures coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment